Being in Lucerne Academy for 3 weeks

Getting the opportunity to attend Lucerne Academy is surely once in a lifetime experience especially for a student like me, who has no background in Law. It definitely is a fantastic programme beyond my expectations. The courses which I have taken from each of the professors urges me to study law. I joined this programme right after having done my Bachelor in English. I haven’t learned anything regarding law since I get a chance to attend this programme. This is my very first time to read the basic idea how law works. It really motivates me to continue my further studies in Law.

This is my first time going out really far from home. I, initially, thought that I will be missing home all day long. However, Switzerland, the heart of Europe impresses me in several ways. The city of Lucerne is picturesque and the people welcomes me with a warm smile.

Through Lucerne Academy, I have a chance to meet eminent scholars from Central Europe, America and Spain. Moreover, I have met bright students from around the world.
 This photo was taken in front of the United Nations Office in Geneva
The Lucerne Academy 2017 main topic “Business and Human Rights” have great interest in me and reflect my country’s situation and need. I have little knowledge of European Convention of Human Rights and European Court of Human Rights until I attend this programme. As an indigenous people myself, this programme widen my thought process. With the lectures of the professors, they draw my attention to the various lacunae in the laws pertaining to land, business and human rights law.

All the participants are given the case of Mr. Amani Namboso and divided into 8 groups, four groups work on the memorial and represent the state while the remaining four groups represent the applicant. I was in Group 1 with Helaina Hirsh from USA, Omar Monroy from Columbia and Justine Alima from Switzerland, representing the applicant.
Group 1, before discussing the case
Though we don’t make it to final round, I am pretty sure that this group is the best group. Each of my group members helps me and encourages me. I can claim I have met a person so smart and so humble.

I enjoyed every bit of being in Lucerne academy, and I hope someone from my country will have the opportunity to join next year’s program.

Comments

Popular Posts